The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is one of the UK’s leading science facilities and research centres. It is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate standards, science and technology available.
NPL occupies a unique position as the UK's National Measurement Institute and sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. Its expertise and original research have underpinned quality of life, innovation and competitiveness for UK citizens and business for more than a century.
A scientist or engineer is required to work on projects related to the development of thermoelectric materials for applications in the transport sector, thermal sensors, micro-energy harvesting and integration of thermoelectric systems with advanced solar cells.
· Excellent understanding of the behaviour of functional materials, from the underlying physics to the influence of geometry, dimensions and operating conditions on the behaviour of the materials and the performance.
· Industrial liaison to develop measurement methods that determine the properties of the materials for the conditions of use.
· Design, build, testing and accreditation of the measurement methods established.
· Ability to adapt and apply knowledge to new challenges.
· Plan and deliver projects.
· Contribute to the underpinning technical knowledge in thermoelectric materials and their applications.
· Capacity to produce practical plans for innovative ideas and explore concepts.
· Interpretation of the needs of a challenge and development of a technical approach for a solution.
· Proven ability to deliver projects to time, quality and customer satisfaction.
· In-depth nowledge of materials science, preferably in thermoelectric materials.
· Capability to lead industry focused solutions, concept through to the delivery of the results.
· Strong communication and presentation skills.
· Excellent team working and relationship skills are essential.
· Problem-solving ability to define research that will reach a resolution.
· Strong planning and organising skills.
Candidates will be highly technically and academically qualified. Only applications supported by a covering letter detailing how you are suited to the role will be considered.
We offer competitive salaries, a wealth of career opportunities and a wide range of benefits.
NPL is based in a unique research environment, which is located in pleasant surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park in south-west London. We have a host of onsite facilities including a subsidised crèche, restaurant, and a sports and social club.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities.
Please contact Gareth.McGrath@npl.co.uk or
Alexandre.firstname.lastname@example.org for technical enquiries